Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Recently someone sent me this Frogloop article for filmmakers and non-profits entitled "9 YouTube Features You May Not Know About." A couple of my favorite tips are:
• How to send someone to an exact time in any video with a specific link
• Adding subtitles and captions
For the expert watcher of videos on YouTube try Cnet's article with more great tips, including:
• Alternate sites for specialized searching and sharing of YT videos
• How to customize resolution and size for watching
That's all for today, Tech Tippers. Until next time, happy YouTube-ing!
Monday, June 21, 2010
Reel Grrls is thrilled to announce that we have received a 2010 Mayor’s Arts Award! Out of 459 public nominations, we were one of three Seattle arts organizations honored (along with three individuals who were also recipients). Mayor Mike McGinn will honor all recipients during a public ceremony at Seattle’s Bumbershoot festival at noon on Friday, Sept. 3. This is the eighth year of the awards. Check out the list of other 2010 recipients:
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Here at RG, we work diligently year-round to champion our students' work. We submit dozens of films to tons of festivals each year. In 2009 alone our films played at over 30 festivals all over the world, including screenings in San Francisco, New York, Athens, Seoul and Kenya!
Lately the good news about our festival screenings and wins have been coming in non-stop! Here's some of the exciting news that's been happening in the Reel Grrls film fest world lately:
• Celina's Story (not available online: to see a copy, buy the "Grrl Director" DVD here) screened in the Seattle International Film Festival's FutureWave Program, and was awarded a Special Jury Award! We were honored to hear the Jury's statement:
"For an honest and convincing account of one girl's life experience, we are awarding a new documentary filmmaker with a distinctive voice who we believe has a strong future."
• Two RG films, Betsy Learns About Judgments and Why Not (not available online: to see a copy, buy the "Reel Grrls TV" DVD here) played locally at the recent National Film Festival for Talented Youth.
• Why Not also played at the Chicago International Film Festival's CineYouth Program! Director Naomi Nelson flew down to attend the screening and participate in a Q&A.
• Finally, word just came in that Why Not will also screen at the Seoul International Youth Film Festival in (you guessed it) Seoul, South Korea! If only we could go to all of the cool places where our films get seen.
Tuesday, June 01, 2010
• Swap your unwanted clothes in good condition
• Enjoy music spun by DJ B-Girl
• Delicious pizza from Piecora’s Pizzeria
• Yummy donuts from Mighty-O Donuts
• All funds raised help Reel Grrls youth attend the Allied Media Conference in Detroit, MI
When: Tuesday, June 8th 6-8pm
Where: Reel Grrls HQ
1409 21st Ave (next to the Central Cinema)
Cost: $5 donation if you bring clothes to swap, $10 if you don't
Questions? email email@example.com or call 206-323-0693
RSVP to our Facebook event here!